Saturday, October 10, 2015

Eco- Map in Spiritual Development



Do you ever feel through logic and reason you've come to the cross yet the reality of spiritual nature, without physical substance, without weight/height/volume, is nearly unreachable?

The core of Christianity is simple;

1."In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" Gen. 1:1

2. "All man has sinned and fallen short of God's glory." Rom 3:23
 
3. "For God so loved the world he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him will not die but receive everlasting life." John 3:16
 
4."In the same way count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Jesus Christ." Rom 6:11
 
5. "You will receive power when the holy spirit comes on you and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Sumeria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:8


Even though I believe these things in my head, trusting them completely with my heart has always posed a huge obsticle.

When I was a boy I admired the old women from Hayward Wesleyan Church, my childhood Christian community. 

With their consistent hand raising and early morning prayer committees, I witnessed them flex their spiritual mussels on a weekly basis thinking these like "They must be the spiritual equivalent of G.I. Joe or Rocky Bowbowa."

There are two types of spiritual mentors, those who are artists seeking emotion, meaning, and spiritual beauty in everything; and the spiritual scientist eager to preform numerous tests and techniques, accumulating data, and watching for "spiritual" results.

Though I've tried to force myself to be an artists, my mind leans toward scientific observation, and thus the as the artist Christians call it, doubt.

I love psychology and have an Associates Degree in Human Services from our local community college on the near by Ojibwe reservation. 

During my course of study we were instructed to create an Eco-Map. Basically it's a diagram that shows how the macro system effect the individual or family unit.

In a hurricane of stress and unexplained frustration, I did one on myself. I noticed how things such as Finances, Work, Community, Experiences, and Relationships has significantly impacted my development. 

My devotional habit resembles the turtle, "Slow and steady wins the race" As I was lingering through the book of Isaiah I came to chapter 46. Only the Lord knows what I'd do if my Bible wasn't a study Bible (For all those skeptics the notes really help unless you have a prestigious degree in Theology or speak fluent Greek and Hebrew)

When reading through the text depicting the false idols, I noticed a familiar tone which lead to an insightful conclusion, "Baal the god of Harvest, represent man's hard work" the same rang true about the list of 6 false gods each representing the aspects of my Eco-map (relationships/experiences/knowledge and education/career/community/accomplishment)

From that moment forward I decided enough is enough, if I am taking my faith seriously I need to understand my Theology with my Head to my Heart. From a psychological stand point words are meaningless until they a processed through our brains, interpreted, and then recognized by our emotions and personality. 

The same is true in my spiritual nature. I need to understand the word through my head, come to grips with my Theology cognitively and bring out the deeper and more profound mystery of my personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  

(Note for spiritual artists who are worried cognitive comprehension may lead to being a pharisee. Any relationship blossoms when one side eagerly pursues to understand the other, knowing their thoughts and watching as they change over time.)

-Wesley Wilson



No comments:

Post a Comment